home about youtube links contact
"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing...kissing a lot. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls."
Audrey Hepburn


Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies


Chocolate Chip Cookies, fresh from the oven. Does it get any better? Is there any more authentic way of proving your mettle, as a home cook, than to produce a perfect chewy chocolate chip cookie for your husband and kids to brag about? I am of the opinion that there is not. So I went on a mission to find that perfect recipe and make myself the most popular mom in the neighborhood. Unfortunately, the 'break and bake' variety and the popular recipes on the back of the Tollhouse Chips package didnt quite 'cut it' for me. I wanted those big ol' chewy cookies that they sell at Christie Cookies or Famous Amous stores, but I wanted them to be better and I wanted them to be my own recipe! Is that too much to ask?

Enter Alton Brown. Most of you know of Alton by his fun and informative 'Food Network' show, 'Good Eats'. He's a 'food scientist' of sorts and his episode entitled 'Three Chips for Sister Sarah' described in detail how to arrive at your perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie, whether you have a pension for crunchy, cake-like, or chewy varieties. After trying 'The Chewy' several times, I made a few alterations based on my own taste, and arrived at the following 'failsafe' recipe:



Ingredients:
1 cup unsalted butter (two sticks)
2 1/4 c. bread flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 c. granulated sugar
1 1/4 c. dark brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
1 Tablespoon milk
2 c. chocolate chips (semi sweet)


Recipe:
Step 1.
Melt butter over low heat in heavy bottomed saucepan.

Step 2.
Sift together dry ingredients (including granulated sugar, but not the brown sugar)and set aside.

Step 3.
Pour melted butter into work bowl of your mixer. Add dark brown sugar to butter and mix together well. Add milk, egg yolk, whole egg, and vanilla. Mil well.

Step 4.
Slowly add dry ingredients, in a few additions, until mixture is thick and well combined.

Step 5.
Fold in chocolate Chips. Refrigerate dough until firm.

Step 6.
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Use a medium ice cream scoop to place six large balls of dough onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Only six cookies per sheet, please. Bake 14 minutes, rotating sheet halfway thru baking time. Remove cookies, even if they don't appear finished.

Step 7.
Slide paper w/ cookies off of baking sheet to allow them to cool. Replace with another sheet of parchment paper and six more cookies until all dough is gone.

Makes about 18 large cookies.

13 comments:

Lisa said...

Yummmmm....and I love the apron. :)

Sarah said...

Thank-you for posting this recipe! Cookies look awesome! I love the dress, apron...and infant carseat on the table ;)

Da un altro Mondo said...

Sounds good! My daughter loves these cookies (I buy them at LIDL discount) I'll try to make myself! Thanks for the recipe

Unknown said...

I love Alton Brown. He is the best.

Unknown said...

Me and my boyfeiend are in the process of making your cookies right now. I can't wait to eat them :D.

Emily x

http://frillymissmilly.blogspot.com/

Lilly said...

Those look delish!

jewlover2 said...

Mrs Deem...LOL...You are the first to notice that last thing! :)

Sarah said...

:) I've set car seats on the table many a times...

BWK Art said...

Oh wow, those looks amazing. Will jot down this recipe and make them next time I have a sweet tooth. Thanks for sharing! :) xo

The Zany Housewife said...

I can't wait to try this recipe. I have one that is my go-to for chocolate chips and I also do the one egg + one yolk...but I always love learning a new one. :)

Love the video too! You look AMAZING. I cannot believe you just had a baby!

angie.a said...

Yum...I'll have to add this to my recipe box to try out later this weekend. Nothing better for a snow day, right?

....writinginmyhead said...

I am making them tomorrow! Adding walnuts though... My mom taught me to make them from the Tollhouse recipe, BUT she would decrease the granulated sugar and increase the brown sugar so it ended up being the same amounts as in your recipe. Sifting, parchment paper and using an ice cream scoop --great ideas that I am going to put to use tomorrow!

Spideymom said...

These cookies were the best & so easy to make. My 3 year old little boy was very happy with these :) Chocolately smiles all around :P

Post a Comment